Majority Review, Speed Read Motorcar Designing Past Tony Lewin
This is a fast read indeed, inwards add-on to covers the theme admirably, exactly every flake stated on the cover, but the fine fine art inside... wow, it's a cross between Grundy inwards add-on to Nagel. I effing love it.
meet what I mean?
I bring rattling petty to quibble about, however, every flake presently every flake yous read it, yous every flake adept may stumble over the author giving Henry Ford the credit for bulk production assembly lines. Oldsmobile did that before Ford. /search?q=drastic-effect-of-assembly-line inward 1901, inwards add-on to the author states ford did it inward 1908. Now, I'm for sure Ford improved the hell out of whatsoever physical care for he gave his assist to, but, give credit where it's due, especially inward history. Ford went a footstep farther, inwards add-on to revolutionized the manufacturing process, inwards add-on to fifty-fifty invented the "moving" assembly problem inward 1914. It changed the means the solid soil manufactures things, inwards add-on to the 250 automobile companies that failed to adapt, inwards add-on to adopt this method, were out of business concern by times 1930.
And if you're every flake much a automobile nut every flake I am, you'll know the trivia unopen the drag coefficient on page 30, that ascribes the 1st under .30 to the 1982-91 Audi 100/5000, which to me seems to add together together to the other many Eurocentric mentions inward the mass to demo a bias toward European automobile makes, inwards add-on to ignores the question that should suffer done before making a statement, or, having an editor or proofreader fact banking business concern check everything before going to print.
The Charger Daytona, inwards add-on to Superbird .29, 1969 inwards add-on to '70
The Tucker was .28, inwards add-on to that was 1948.
The Tatra T77 was .245, (some sources say .21) inwards add-on to that was inward 1934
Of course, the interruption of cars that tin give the axe forcefulness out suffer learned unopen inward a fast banking business concern check of drag coefficients, like, oh, Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automobile_drag_coefficient tells me a lot more than that I knew the trivia on...
So, that claim unopen Audi? Bogus. Nissan 300zx was also, .30, also, same year.
Saab 92, 1947, .30 Lotus Elite inwards add-on to Europa were .29 (1958 inwards add-on to '66)
I'm going to piece of occupation yesteryear on the cars made inward less than a handful, the Dymaxions, the Disco Volante Alfa inwards add-on to BAT Alfas, they only don't compare to a produciton automobile inward this discussion, nor exercise all the terra firma speed racing streamliners similar the .117 Goldenrod of the Summers Brothers, the 1938 Phantom Corsair, inwards add-on to other concept cars
Anyway, that's a lot to read, but lonely boils downwards to the ii things I works erroroneous that a proof reader should bring caught. Hell, I did, inwards add-on to I'm nix more than than a high schoolhouse grad alongside nix professional person mortal grooming or experience at editting or proof reading. It's only automobile knowledge, inwards add-on to he got it wrong.
Getting back to the review...
I totally dig the many facets the author digs into, seriously, he picks the whole automobile pattern solid soil apart, inwards add-on to downwards to the nitty gritty. It's fantastic. The rims for pete's sake! He tells yous why inwards add-on to what rims are about... the expensive cars acquire this type, the racy ones acquire that type... inwards add-on to suddenly, I acquire it! Now yous meet what I mean?
Oh wow, the creases! You've probable read Robert curmudgeon - Cumberford - cranky old cravat wearing guy.. .. right? Knows his shit, inwards add-on to dishes on i automobile a month inward Automobile magazine. Well, I've read dozens of his discourses on auto designs, inwards add-on to I didn't acquire what he said unopen the creases until I read this book's chapter on the creases. Yup... it's that good.
And the Corvair shoulder line... I hadn't realized, inwards add-on to that's what's brilliant unopen getting educated slice yous read - the AH HA! s of realizing something, similar the Corvair. That shoulder problem lay a novel matter going inward automobile design. Seriously, it's rare to exercise something every flake monumental every flake construct a alter that others imitate.. similar the Tatra, which VW stole the pattern of for the Bug... yeah, they settled out of courtroom for a i one thousand 1 K bucks eventually... well, whatever the monetary unit of measurement of measuring is inward the Czech republic.... but the Corvair inspired BMW, NSU, Simca, Hillman inwards add-on to Fiat to copy that shoulder crease. Hey, I am amazed. You may not be.
And now, Mercedes has a "no more than creases" policy " “The 4th dimension of creases is over,” proclaimed Gorden Wagener, Mercedes' chief of design" Apr 2017. How unopen that... I hadn't heard unopen that.
The slice of describe of piece of occupation of mascots/hood ornaments, fins inwards add-on to badges... fifty-fifty the script of the automobile maker inwards add-on to why expensive cars don't lay the model cry on the car, but inexpensive ones do.
This is seriously cool analytical thought applied to automobile design. Damn, this is cool stuff. I love this.
Why are some automobile models numbered (Mazda 3, BMW M3) but others acquire kicking ass names (Demon, Hellcat) or made upwards invented words that exercise not last inward whatsoever language (Toyota Yaris inwards add-on to Aygo)
Rolls Royce Phantom, they engineered the cycle hub badge to rest fixed, inwards add-on to thus when driving or parked, yous lonely meet that RR right side up.
And the details.. oh man, I dig the details... like, the cardinal fob. How it feels inward the hand, shape, weight, texture. That's all pattern stuff. Does it lonely lock/unlock the car, or testament it outset the automobile too? Do the vents rotate, roll, flip, louver, or... not fifty-fifty look on the dash? VW Pheaton doesn't bring the vents because Piech hated vents.
https://books.google.com/books?id=ge05DwAAQBAJ&pg=PA11&source=gbs_toc_r&cad=4#v=onepage&q&f=false for a sample facial expression at the mass of the 1st span chapters





Komentar
Posting Komentar